On 22 March, we will announce our annual Morningstar 2018 Fund Award winners. The core methodology remains the same, and as always, there will be two types of awards given: Category Awards and Fund House Awards.
Methodology remains the same
The awards retain the same methodology combining quantitative scoring with the qualitative judgment of our analyst team. They are designed to recognise strong performance during the year in question, but they do not simply reward one year returns. Indeed, the best funds over one year have all too often just gotten lucky rather than demonstrated real skill. We therefore evaluate five years of history in our awards process and it takes more than strong returns to merit consideration. We also place a heavy emphasis on risk in our calculation and our analysts look at factors such as the consistency of returns, changes to management and outsized risks that might be embedded in the portfolio. You can read the full methodology here.
Awards in 2018
Morningstar Category Awards
- Asia-Pacific Equity (Asia ex Japan Equity, Asia-Pacific ex Japan Equity, Asia-Pacific inc.Japan Equity, Asia-Pacific ex-Japan Equity Income)
- Global Equity (Includes all Global Large Cap style categories, Global Equity-Income, and Global Flex-Cap)
- Greater China Equity (China Equity and Greater China Equity)
- Singapore Equity
- Asia Bond (Asia Bond and Asia Bond – Local Currency)
Morningstar Fund House Awards
- Best Equity Fund House
- Best Fixed Income Fund House
Stay tuned with the winner annoucement and winners feature on our website in March.
View all Morningstar Singapore Fund Awards 2018 articles here.